Friday, December 18, 2009

Crisp Rice Christmas Trees

Today we made Crisp Rice Christmas Trees. We used the crisp rice treats we all know and love, shaped them into cone shapes while still warm (cold these are impossible to shape), covered in a layer of green tinted vanilla icing, the pull and peel licorice, and decorated with coated candy. I made a double batch and ended up with 12 trees. Wrap in a cello bag and tie off with a ribbon and little gift tag and you have a great little treat to give away.

This was intended to be done with my 2 yr niece and 15 yr old son. Somehow I ended up doing this myself. I had fun though. This came from a memory of 4th grade when we had these treats made and given to us by our teacher. Instead of rice they used circle cereal.

This set didn't come out as pretty as I would have liked but it was an experiment and I was trying to make it kid friendly. Next year I think we will do this again and make it a tradition.